Monday, November 27, 2006

Gender Bender

Watching football can really be an eye opener. Not that I really care much for the game, but for some reason Kelsey enjoys watching "The Vikes". She even proclaimed that she plans to be a football player. Unfortunately she was bawked at and told that "girls do not play football, it is too dangerous." That individual, who shall remain nameless was tsk'd, and then said "I mean sure you can play, or hockey."

It was in this encounter that I realized the dreams of a child, however lofty, should be supported after all, she did not say she wanted to be America's Next Top Model or the next American Idol. And the people who splatter their dreams should be questioned, "Why can't a girl play football, it would not be the first time?"

What is up with the gender stereotypes?

2 comments:

Vikki said...

I think having children makes you even more aware of the stereotypes. As a parent, you want your children to be able to be whoever and whatever they want. Society puts enough limitations on people without those limits starting at home. Just my two cents:)

Kristin said...

I can only imagine who said that.