Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Mocha-lotta creme

I call it survival, and feel that we crave fattening food because our body needs it to survive the long winters in MN. I do not think that it is a coincidence that Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas encourage us to eat in a gluttonous way and happen to fall during the fall and early winter months.

I believe Thanksgiving was actually a time in history to pack on the weight, as the harvest came in, to encourage health and wellness through the long winter. Thanksgiving in my family looks much different then it did during the early colonial days. None of us wear dresses or bonnet hats...but we do enjoy the almighty feast followed by a nap.

Christmas is another example with oh so much food and desserts. It amazes me how much food is before us, but it always tastes so good. And I do indulge.

I think we should do away with the guilt of these seasonal pounds, it is our right for survival to crave the foods that put pounds on the hips. Adding extra creme to my already fat-laden mocha should not make me feel guilty- it is my birthright as a MN to crave the foods that will help me through the long winter months.

I believe our ancestors had it right! Let's eat, drink and be merry. And as my German Ancestors would say (not sure about the spelling) "Einz Fein Zuica"

1 comment:

Kristin said...

this would explain your love of strudel with whipping cream gravy