Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The perfect mom?

I imagine somewhere in the world this exists, perhaps a women who has taken the course Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, by Franklin Covey, and has been able to use the skills "effectively", or has not taken any skill building, time management courses and the skills needed just come very naturally. Who knows? I know I am not perfect, nor will I ever be...

This doesn't keep me from imagining a land where perfection doesn't matter, just being good enough. As this blog takes a turn for the wierd, allow yourself to go with me, in this make believe land.

I imagine myself with multiple arms and heads, almost like an octopus, but as many heads as tentacles (it probably would not be attractive, but go with it). These many body parts would be helpful in giving everything in my life the time and attention that is deserved. Shane would get one set- to focus on our relationship, Kylie would get another to give her as much love and cuddles as she requested, Kelsey would get another to do all of the craft projects and games that her little heart desires, Teddy would get another- to allow him as much pet time and tug-of-war time that any puppy his size needs, another set would go to work to focus on work and give my clients the attention they need, the fifth set would go to housework and cooking; I imagine an apple pie spinning on the tip of the tentacle, the sixth would go to me family and friends because the do not get nearly enough time and attention, and the last tentacle and head would be just for me; to focus on me and my projects.

I imagine if I transformed into the creature, I would no longer feel overwhelmed and guilty for everything in my life that does not get enough attention. It certainly would not be pretty, but it sure would put my mind at ease knowing that everything in my life was attended to. Until the day comes when transformation into odd creatures is a possibility, I will have to read Seven Habits of Highly Effective People again. I am sure one of the time management skills would tell me not to blog while at work ;)

1 comment:

Vikki said...

I know you how feel. Last night, I was lamenting this very thing. There is just not enough time for everything. I can't help you grow the extra appendages but I can tell you that you are not alone.

As for blogging at work, that is actually one of the best time management skills you can have...multitasking at its best! At least, that's what I tell myself.