Monday, October 02, 2006

Sunday School a.k.a disjointed mess

Oh boy, I guess I had high expectations, after all when the Sunday School preschool coordinator says, "oh it will be no problem, I will have all of the crafts ready to go, all you will have to do is stop in maybe 20 minutes early to pick up the box and go to your room- no problem really!" Maybe she was trying to convince herself. I really should have followed my instincts, which told me told me that this person was not an organizer. I guess I gave it the benefit of my doubt...

I walk in only to find 5 people standing in the room where all of our supplies were supposed to be prepared. So I grabbed a box and the cards we hand out to the children. When I got to the room where I am supposed to teach, I looked in the box, nothing was in there! I went back to the supply room to get the felt puppets- no felt puppets... I went back to my room, realized I needed color crayons for the pictures the kids are supposed to color. Then went back to the room. In the meantime, Kelsey is following me asking when class will start. The children start joining us and that is when it all seems to come together, sort of.

This was when I also realized that the curriculum is really set-up for children who like to sit still and create. Which is fine if the class was composed of all girls, the little boy in the class was quite bored and somewhat disagreeable to join in on the activities. The children behaved quite well despite the chaos and I learned a lot about them. Kelsey made a new friend with the little girl in the class, they hugged several times and declared that they were best friends, which was very sweet. I learned that the little boy in the class lost his grandfather not to long ago and he is named after him. Kelsey learned that Jesus lives up in the ceiling, and the little boy insisted that Jesus was God. It was all very interesting "out of the mouths of babes".

I have decided that Sunday School will be a lot more work then once planned for, and I will plan my some of my own activities for the kids, especially since we never did get out felt puppets done since we did not have any materials to do them. I have also decided that Shane will be my helper, Catholic or not, because I need an errand boy.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Although I haven't met him, I imagine Shane making the perfect errand boy for you Colleen.

Sunday school. My only memory is Mrs. Belsheim, the minister's wife, talking about the "offering" and how important it was. She then demonstrated this by writing a check out to "God" for $900.

I knew then that she was a right old fraud.

Colleen said...

This is interesting, I got a letter from my priest at church. At first I thought it was a letter of thanks for helping with Sunday school because he used phrases like "your time is more valuable then money." So I told Shane, "perhaps he is telling us we do not need to give money anymore?" Then later in the letter it said, "So your valuable gift of money would be greatly appreciated and is intrumental in making sure that the church will continue to have the programs that it does." Shane said, "Nope, they want the money too."